Whether building, renovating, or just trying to expand your window and door vocabulary, learning the different parts of a window is a useful step. Here is the anatomy of a window:
1. Head – the main horizontal member forming the top of the window frame.
2. Argon Gas – a colourless inert gas that is injected in the airspace of an insulating glass unit to improve energy efficiency
3. Frame – the enclosure in which window sash or door panels are mounted.
4. Simulated Divided Lites (SDL) – small grille bars placed on the exterior and interior of the glass that divide a window into smaller section.
5. Nailing Flange – fin used to secure the window to an opening
6. Sash – a single assembly of stiles and rails into a frame for holding glass
7. Pane – a framed sheet of glass within a window or door
8. Glazing – the act or process of fitting a window with glass
9. Sill – The main horizontal member forming the bottom of the frame of the window.