Summer is just around the corner, and the temperature keeps rising every day. It’s always fun to take part in outdoor activities, but there comes a time when you have to flee the sun and take refuge indoors. How do you manage to keep the temperature in your home at a pleasant level without overusing your air conditioner? We’ve got some ideas . . .
Low-emissivity (Low-E) glass
Using energy-efficient doors and windows, low-energy air conditioners, and fluocompact light bulbs can help you drastically cut down on the amount of energy you use in the home and reduce your electricity bill at the same time. That’s why JELD-WEN is proud to offer you its ENERGY STAR certified products, which meet strict requirements in terms of energy efficiency and energy savings.
When you’re looking for our energy-efficient windows, it’s important to choose ones with our low-emissivity (Low-E) glass. This is specially treated glass on which a coating has been applied. This coating reflects back the sun’s ultraviolet rays that generate heat in the summer, considerably reducing air conditioning costs. Once it’s fitted with specially treated JELD-WEN Low-E glass, your home will be better equipped to ride out the heat waves. Low-e is offered as an option on most of our windows.
Some more advice
But don’t stop at JELD-WEN ENERGY STAR certified windows: We strongly recommend you look for the ENERGY STAR sticker whenever possible, a reliable reference for identifying the most energy-efficient products on the market. The following tips will help you reduce your energy consumption (and ultimately your electricity bill) when properly applied:
- Use fluocompact bulbs rather than conventional light bulbs.
- Close the curtains when you’re absent to prevent the sun from shining in during the day.
- Aerate your space: Open the windows slightly on either side of your home to create a breeze. This will enable you turn off your fans, other big energy users.
- Plant trees! According to Hydro-Québec, trees planted in strategic locations in your yard can help reduce energy consumption by blocking the sun’s rays.
- Don’t let heat circulate. Close the doors of rooms you don’t use often to shut out their heat and avoid the need to cool them down with air conditioning.
This summer, don’t get beat by the heat. A few simple gestures on your part, along with some JELD-WEN ENERGY STAR certified windows, will play a small but significant role in protecting the environment!